- Co-recipient of a 2017 Carnegie Whitney grant along with Dr. Sandra Hughes-Hassell for a yearlong project to develop an online resource center for professional development materials for school librarians related to diversity and equity.
- Co-PI of an IMLS Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Project grant totaling approximately $570,000, in collaboration with Dr. Sandra Hughes-Hassell at UNC Chapel Hill, the School of Library and Information Sciences at NC Central University, and the Wake County Public School System. The grant, which covers the time period of June 2016 – June 2019, funds a three-year Continuing Education project to develop a professional development curriculum that includes a suite of blended professional development experiences for school librarians, classroom teachers, and school literacy coaches that focuses on cultural competence, culturally relevant pedagogy and equity literacy.
- Co-wrote a successful grant application with Dr. Sandra Hughes-Hassell for a 2011-2012 National Leadership Grant totaling $99,074 from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. The grant funded a 2012 summit entitled “Building a Bridge to Literacy for African-American Male Youth: A Call to Action for the Library Community” hosted by UNC Chapel Hill SILS and the School of Library and Information Science at North Carolina Central University.
- Co-recipient of the 2010-2011 ALA Diversity Research Grant along with Dr. Sandra Hughes-Hassell for a yearlong research project entitled “Promoting Equity in Literacy Instruction for Adolescent African American Males through the use of Enabling Texts.”
Honors and Awards
- On behalf of Project READY, co-recipient of the 2018 Engaged Scholarship Award from the UNC Chapel Hill Carolina Center for Public Service and the Office of the Provost.
- Recipient of the 2016-2017 Deborah Barreau Award for Teaching Excellence at UNC Chapel Hill’s School of Information and Library Science.
- Finalist, Jean Tague Sutcliffe Doctoral Student Research Poster Contest, January 2016
- Co-recipient of a 2013 Virginia Hamilton Essay Award Honor Citation, along with Sandra Hughes-Hassell, for the article “Rethinking the texts we use in literacy instruction with adolescent African American males”
- Recipient of the 2012 YALSA Writing Award for outstanding writing in the Journal of Research on Libraries and Young Adults
- Recipient of a five-year UNC Chapel Hill Royster Fellowship, beginning in Fall 2011
- Winner of the Fall 2010 SILS Elfreda Chatman Research Award
- Recipient of the 2009-2010 Kathleen McNiece Moore Fellowship
- Winner of a 2008 Durham Technology Showcase award for student-created digital videos created as part of a nine-week research project into fruit fly genetics at Rogers-Herr Middle School
- Featured on Durham Education Channel’s “Bright Ideas” program for a 7th grade science project on fruit fly genetics
- Recipient of the 2007 Dean’s Award for Outstanding Student in Middle School Education, University of Louisville